Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Workout Update - Going Zen

Quick note so that I have a record of what I am doing. Here is what has transpired over the past couple of weeks with thoughts into the future:

1 - I backed out of Killington Beast because I couldn't afford the trip and I am not sure that I was prepared. In hindsight, I could have done it but that doesn't mean that I can't improve upon my training. I plan to get my life back together to do it next year. I am disappointed that I couldn't do it but am satisfied with my 2015 Trifecta.

2 - My new workout plan from September to January is to work out in my basement every day. This means that I can't kill myself on any particular day so that I can make it back the next day. Every day will start with Qigong to improve my flexibility, mobility and balance. This takes about 30 minutes leaving the remainder of my time for upper or lower body routines. 



  • Upper Body - I have rings to use for pull ups, rows and dips. Including pike push ups, push ups. 
  • Lower Body - Still working on Pistol Squats. Now I am doing them full range of motion holding on to the rings for assistance. After that I am doing 5 sets of 10 of a front loaded then back loaded exercise. Day 1: Single Leg Deadlift & Back Squat superset. Day 2: Front Squat & Split Squat superset. Starting out I am using a 40# top soil bag, can only do 5 per side on the Split Squats and have not gone past 2 & 1/2 circuits. I will improve.


3 - One day on the weekend is devoted to distance running which will be running to Port Imperial, running the hill and staircases for as long as possible, then running home. My success will be determined by my endurance times. Baseline is 53 minutes and 4.25 miles. 

4 - In the office I am doing 20 Push Ups/Dips/Sit Ups/Back Bridge/Squats every hour. I hope that this helps with anything that I am missing at home. If more of my home workout is flexibility & balance then this should make up for what I am sacrificing.

5 - I am shifting from dedicated training to working out and taking a zen like approach. I am going to do what I can do and do it every day. It is why I am not going to update the blog as often.

I have a lot to work on and I hope, without measuring, that I can improve my conditioning, relative upper body strength, mobility and balance. I want to kick into high gear with conditioning after January to prepare myself for the NJ Beast and Massachusetts Bone Frog, then train for martial arts in the summer. Killington Beast and a Tough Mudder for fun in the fall. Maybe a Hurricane Heat in Tuxedo. Plans are subject to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment