Saturday, March 1, 2014

Kettlebell VO2 Max

I recently ordered and watched Hobie Call’s Obstacle Racing Training video. For those of you who are unaware, Hobie Call basically wins all of the Spartan Races he enters and recently won the Spartan World Championship in Vermont. One of his workouts is the Upper Body workout. Nothing groundbreaking in what he does with the exception that he does not rest in between sets. All of his workouts are high intensity with really no rest periods. Since I am not ready to completely revamp my workout routine to fit his I used the most valuable thing I could today, the elimination of rest periods, and applied it to my Kettlebell workout.


The results are that I wanted to do 5 rounds of the Kettlebell workout but could only do 4. I was gassed after 45 minutes of hitting it hard. I did not match previous number of reps at heavier weights that I have done in the past but I am sure that my pace was much better today than when I set those PRs.

As I was walking out of the gym I could not pass the treadmills since I am realizing that the best athletes in Spartan racing are former runners and that is not my background. I then ran for 15 minutes above my “race pace”. Upon finishing, I thought that it would be a good idea to finish with 10 burpees. 10 Burpees turned into 30. Then I went home. Good start to the day if you ask me.

This Kettlebell workout came from http://kettlebellsworkouts.com/ I pulled all of the videos from this trainer’s YouTube Channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/GBpersonaltraining
He has several different types of workouts on his site along with downloadable programs. Please visit his site. This is listed as his “Best Kettlebell Workouts” so I thought that would be fine for me but he has other ones including strength, beginner, etc. I have adjusted the number of reps and set to fit me but are using his exercises.
Warm Up:
Circuit with sets of 10. At the end of each circuit did 10 burpees.

Notes / Results:

  • 45 minutes of warm up & kettlebells, 15 minute run then did 30 burpees. Total time was 70 minutes.
  • 199 pounds
    • Previous high: 12kg
    • Sets: 8, 10, 10, 4@12.
  • Kettlebell Swings
    • Previous high: 24kg
    • Sets: 20@24, 10@16/10@18,  20@18, 10@24
  • Reverse Lunges
    • Previous high: 12 kg
    • Sets: 12, 12, 12, 12 (each hand)
  • High Pulls
    • Previous high: 18kg
    • Sets: 12, 16, 16, 18
  • Kettlebell Squats
    • Previous high: 18kg
    • Sets: 15@16, 10@16, 10@16, 10@18

No comments:

Post a Comment