Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Real Strength Training Applied - Leg Day

I have been doing a lot more reading on strength training and Olympic lifting. While what they recommend does not fit into my training goals I am picking up a lot of good direction as to how to improve what I am doing. Specifically, power lifters recommend not doing isolation exercises but instead focusing on Olympic style lifts that have more bang for the buck. I am coming over to their way of thinking more and more and conducted a review of my training program to replace what I can consider low return on investment exercises with some of the core exercises. Today, I was supposed to do Goblet Squats and Side Lunges. I replaced them with regular Squats and Deadlifts.


The second adjustment that I made to my workouts was less of a concentration on time in between sets for strength training and more of a concentration on lifting heavy weights properly. This, in practice, made me run out of time (I limit gym workout time to 60 minutes) before I got to the 4th exercise set that I was supposed to do. I have no regrets since I believe that I got a lot out of my squats, deadlifts and step ups. I plan to keep the timing discipline in my kettle bell and running VO2 max days.


Lastly, my squat weight is ridiculously low but I am building up from the beginning with proper form. For my first set I started with just the bar and slowly moved up in weight set by set. To date I have always thought that I should continue to progress according to how I felt and what I was able to lift. My thinking has changed and I plan on following Mark Rippetoe’s Starting Strength advice and from now on will define what I will lift in advance of the workout. So, I know the max weight that I will reach on my 5th set and back out he weights on previous sets in order to get there. Today I did 7 sets in order to reach a max that was unimpressive. Next time I will take that max weight of 105, add 10 pounds so that I lift that on my 5th set and tell myself that my sets will be 75, 85, 95, 105, 115 after I warm up with the bar. The following week I will start at 85 and reach my max at 125.  


Warm Up:


Leg Routine - Do 1 set at ½ weight for ten reps to warm up and focus on form, then 5 sets of 5 reps each at max weight.




Notes / Results:
  • Time: 60 minutes.
  • Weight: 194. Broke through the 195 plateau.
  • Squats - Sets: 45, 55, 65, 75, 85, 95, 105
  • Deadlift - Sets: 205, 215, 225, 235, 245
  • Step Ups
    • Previous high: 55 Goal: was 50, need to get to 60
    • Sets: 45, 50, 55, 55, 55


No comments:

Post a Comment