Thursday, July 31, 2014

Football Field Conditioning - Tapering before BattleFrog Race

I really don't have much experience with preparing for a race so I am experimenting with race week prep. After a full upper body session on Tuesday, I took Wednesday off and then got some conditioning work in today. I made sure that it involved running since I have not had an endurance run day in three weeks. 

Usually I do this workout with the speed sack, a weight vest and a weight belt. Today I left the weights at home. 

Food wise, I had a terrible day yesterday by eating two pieces of pizza, three margaritas, two beers, spinach avocado dip with chips and half of a double cheeseburger. Everything will be okay as long as today and tomorrow I eat sensibly. This morning was oatmeal, lunch will be split with two halves of a tuna fish sandwich, and dinner will be a salad with salmon along with hummus with baby carrots. Tomorrow will be chicken with rice and vegetables for lunch and a sensible dinner. Saturday race breakfast will be oatmeal and maybe a hard boiled egg. Post race lunch will be the other half of the double cheeseburger. 

My left leg is still nagging at me so I hope that today's session did a little bit to loosen it up and that resting tomorrow will have it ready for Saturday. I don't expect it to be 100% but also don't expect it to hold me back. 

Actually, tomorrow won't be a total rest day as I plan to stretch in the morning. This will be an addition to the workout schedule and something that I am adding now that I am entering the maintenance period of my training. From now through October I will not be pushing for new gains but rather maintain what I have gained for this competition season and throw in some stretching to keep limber and gain mobility. 

Now to the workout:

Ran about a mile to the football field and around the track

Repeated circuit 3x with minimal or no rest:

  • 50 yard sprint
  • 20 sit ups
  • 20 box jumps onto bench
  • 20 Russian twists 
  • Shuttle Runs - 10 yards and back, 20 yards and back, 10 yards and back
  • 10 Burpees
  • 50 yards lunges
  • 5 pull ups
  • 10 TRX (they have chains with handles hanging from bars at the park) rows
  • 5 dips then cross the parallel bar
  • 5 chin ups with 10 second hag (arms at 90 degrees) at end


Ran home

Total time: 1 hour and 25 minutes including warm up and cool down walk. 

I am now studying the course map to plan my race strategy including where and when to bring it and when to pace. This helps me visualize my success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment