Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Upper Body after BattleFrog - working on weakness

Was not my day to do upper body but after the BattleFrog Race I know that upper body strength and pulling in particular is a weakness that I need to work on. Which is why I don’t understand why I did not prioritize pull ups and rows. I saved pull ups for last and did not do rows due to lack of available barbells. Should have opened my mind and done dumbbell rows. Sometimes we get locked into a routine and don’t do what is best for us.

The positives are that I streamlined my monkey bar routine to focus on rope pull ups, monkey bars, pull ups and dips. These are not only great upper body building exercises but that are also sport specific. Since I did not do rows I tied battle ropes to the prowler, loaded it up with four 45 pound weights and pulled it across the gym floor while lying down. Think of pulling on the rope as if climbing but doing it while laying down.

This was the first lifting day after resting two days following the race and my results were not where I want them to be. Hopefully I will kill it next week once I am more fully recovered. I guess this is also supposed to be a maintenance period so I shouldn’t be pushing but taking a step back after a sub par performance is not what I am shooting for.

Warm Up:

Chest/Back Routine - 5 sets increasing in weight and decreasing in reps 20/15/10/5/3.


Notes / Results:

  • Time: 75 minutes
  • Weight: 192
  • Bench Press
    • Previous high: 3@155
    • Sets: 15@110/3@110, 10@115/3@115, 8@120, 5@125, 4@135
  • Press
    • Previous High: 3@100 or 1@105
    • Sets: 14@65, 12@70, 10@75, 5@85*, 3@95
  • Rope Pull Ups(R)/Monkey Bars(, M)/Pull Ups(P)/Dips(D)
    • 3 rounds, 1st was body weight, second two were with 5# weight belt
    • Added TRX Row pull ups with elevated feet
  • Finisher: 30 Burpees

No comments:

Post a Comment