Sunday, July 28, 2013

2 Hours & 20 minutes of Man vs Mountain - Over Caffeinated


Today was my run day so I made the track out to the Ramapo Reservation Trail to battle some mountain/trail running and work on duration. Spartan WOD recommends having one day a week be a lower intensity, longer duration workout to prepare for the length of their races. I take their advice. They recommend two hours for the Spartan Sprint and three hours for the Best. I am doing two hours well and working up to three hours.

I didn't actually run the entire time. It was more about consistent movement with a best effort to run as much as possible. It worked out being more like interval training with me concentrating on running up the hills and resting on the flat sections.

Lesson learned is that when I started I was jacked up on two cups of coffee and then I drank a large, two bag tea with honey. In the beginning I had to incorporate walking into the run since my heart was pounding and I was quickly running out of breath. I eventually calmed down and had a more consistent run until the end when I had to incorporate more walking due to my knees and legs hurting.

Note to all: tea with honey works. I like it. It gives the caffeine boost for a good workout, the green tea is supposed to detox or clean out your system, and the honey gives you sustained energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment