Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Why & How I Will Lose 10 Pounds in 53 Days

Its a rest day so I thought that I would update all with another aspect of my training journey. The next step in achieving my goal of completing the 2014 Spartan Beast & Spartan Trifecta (Sprint, Super & Beast) is finishing the 2013 Super Spartan on September 8th. This is the event that kicked my ass last year and I stopped doing obstacles after mile 8. 

Last year, with a regular workout schedule, I weighed 230 pounds. In the middle of the Tough Mudder last October I realized that doing these races at 210 pounds instead of 230 would make them a lot easier. 

I know the arguments that weight does not matter. People tell me to concentrate on body fat percentage. Muscle weighs more than fat. Etc. Bottom line is that I don't need to have as much muscle to carry 200 pounds up and down a mountain 4x for 4+ hours than I would to carry 230. Weight matters. 

So, since last year and more focused in 2013 I am now down to 210 pounds. I actually got there a lot quicker than originally anticipated and have maintained that weight for several months now. I am maintaining since I have slacked in my eating discipline. Getting refocused I set my goal to get to 200 in time for the Super Spartan and Tough Mudder. Checking the calendar, the Super Spartan is 53 days away. 

How am I going to do it? I have a diet plan that combines The China Study (eat plants) and the Paleo Diet (eat lean meats, seafood, vegetables & fruits). I will blog about The China Study vs The Paleo Diet another day but here is my game plan:

  • Low carb diet. Eliminating grains and carbs has a tremendous impact on weight loss. 
  • I said low carb diet since the body does need carbs for energy to work out. 
  • Natural foods, not processed foods. No bread. No dairy. No potato chips in the office. I don't care if something is scientifically engineered to be Gluten Free, eat the natural food alternative or nothing at all. Concentrate on eating lean meats, seafood, vegetables and fruits. 
  • Diet of abundance, not restriction. As soon as I tell myself that I can't eat something I want it. Focus on eating all and as much of the good stuff as possible and don't feel guilty doing it.


Average eating day:
  • Breakfast as soon as I wake up:
    • Coffee, no milk or cream, no sugar
    • An egg or a meat (turkey sausage lately - processed meat=bad) with fruit. Rotate between an orange, cantaloup, or banana
  • After workout smoothie with 2 cups almond milk (okay, processed. not perfect), fruit on the bottom yogurt (processed, dairy, terrible), soy or whey protein (again processed and not perfect), fill the yogurt cup with fruit, and banana. 
  • Mid morning snack at the office of an orange or banana
  • Lunch consisting of a meat, vegetables and Jasmine rice (Jasmine rice has a better taste to it than plain white rice). Rice is the carb here but since rice is a plant I consider it a natural food and good source for energy.
  • Afternoon snack of a half an apple with natural peanut butter spread on the slices. Also, will graze on the almonds and cashews available in the office.
  • Dinner is a salad with lettuce, spinach, seafood (tuna, mackerel, or salmon), 1/4 alvacado, onion, tomato, black olives and olive oil for dressing.
  • Any night time snacking is half an apple with natural peanut butter or peanuts.
  • I love beer but I need to put it aside and opt for moderate intake of wine. 


Obviously this diet is far from perfect and not in line with my weight loss diet philosophy. I am not perfect. This is, however, a plan and better than the alternative. It is something that I can live with and still enjoy life. By doing this I will drastically cut down on "cheat days" and bad food binges. Combined with a consistent exercise routine that combines strength training and cardio, I will get to 200 pounds in the next 53 days.


Thank you for reading and I promise to keep you posted as to my progress. Feel free to comment and offer your own insights.

No comments:

Post a Comment