Monday, July 8, 2013

Weight and Performance

We have all heard that "muscle weighs more than fat" and "performance is more important than weight". It was part of my thinking over the past year until I came to a revelation. 

As I was running both the Super Spartan in 2012 and the 2012 Tough Mudder, I kept thinking to myself, "I bet theses races would be a lot easier if I weighed 210 pounds instead of 230."

At the end of the day, it is easier getting a 200 pound mass of flesh up and down a mountain, over walls, through rivers, under barbed wire, etc. for several hours than it is getting 230 pounds though those same obstacles. That is why after those events one of my 2013 goals has been to lose 20 pounds. I was not concerned about losing strength since I thought that the weight loss would balance out the strength loss and ultimately improve my performance for the goals I set out to accomplish.

You will see pictures of me at 230 pounds below. Although I was no greek statue I hope that you will agree with me that I was not in the worst shape either. Honestly, I knew that I could get trim but did not have any idea of where this significant weight loss was going to come from. 

To get you up to speed with my results, today I am at 207 pounds which has exceeded my weight loss goal. I am shooting for 200 in time for the Super Spartan in September and Tough Mudder in October. My performance running and in the gym is better meaning that I have not had to sacrifice strength to achieve it. Actually, I am stronger and in better cardiovascular shape today than before. 


I did it by modifying both my workouts and having a better focus and game plan on nutrition. I will blog about both of those things at a later date. I just want everyone who reads this to know that weight matters. Especially for me. I don't know where I found 23 (and eventually 30) pounds to lose after being in Tough Mudder shape but it is there. 

Rugged Maniac - July, 2012


Rugged Maniac - July, 2012


Super Spartan - Sept. 2012


Tough Mudder - October, 2012


Tough Mudder - October, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment