Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Chest & Back - Improvements over last time - holding 205 pounds with 46 days until Super Spartan

Today the focus is on my chest and back and this is version 3 of the workout. 4 versions in total meaning that I do each workout once a month although I focus on chest once a week. 

To improve cardio in time for September's Super Spartan I incorporate 10 core reps (sit ups, v-ups, elevated feet russian twists, etc.) in between each set and 10 burpees at the end of each circuit.

Warm Up:


Chest/Back Routine - 10 reps each set. Do 10 reps in a set and move up in weight for next cycle  - Do 5 circuits.


Notes / Results:
  • Weight: 205. My weight will go up and down by about 4 pounds. 204 is probably a low water mark while 210 is high. Holding on to 205 is progress. I usually hang near my high mark when I am working out several days in a row and then show any gains after I take off a day or two.
  • Time: 65 minutes. Surprised since I really needed to get through this workout quickly due to other things in life going on. I thought that I would get it done in lees than an hour. 
  • Last time I did chest & back I only did 4 circuits. This time did 5. Also last time I only did the core & burpees during the 2nd circuit. This time did them throughout. Success.
  • Incline Bench Press - max 5 reps @ 95 + bar on 5 circuit
  • Underhand Lateral Pull Downs - max 7 reps @ 195 on 4th circuit. My previous high was 180 so I am showing progress here. Need to take the 195 to my overhand lateral pull downs.
  • Decline Dumbbell Flys - max 10 reps @ 35 on 5th circuit. Only did 8 on 4th but came back for 10 reps. This means that I will start with a  heavier weight to get to a heavier weight next time.
  • Single Arm Dumbbell Row - max 10 reps @ 70 on 5th circuit. Again, I could only do 7 reps with my right arm on the 4th circuit but came back to the same weight on the 5th and completed the 10 reps on both sides. Start heavier and go heavier next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment