Sunday, January 12, 2014

Death by Kettlebell

Saturday was my rest day but I spent it carrying tables, chairs and cabinets from storage areas and up stairs into my church’s parish center since it finally reopened following Hurricane Sandy damage. Fulfilling but not very restful for the muscles.
This morning I was torn between many different workouts to choose from. 1 - Long run, 2 - carry a 50lb bag of rock salt around town and up hills for an hour, 3 - go to the gym for a kettlebell workout. I chose kettlebell and I made it high intensity. I kicked my own ass.
Also, in reading The New Evolution Diet the author talks about randomness and keeping your body guessing when it comes to eating and exercise. We are built genetically for this and it works since you are constantly shocking your body in new ways. So, I felt good to get off the strength focus (which I will resume tomorrow) and go to 4 cycles of 10 reps for each set at max weight.
This Kettlebell workout came from http://kettlebellsworkouts.com/ I pulled all of the videos from this trainer’s YouTube Channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/GBpersonaltraining
He has several different types of workouts on his site along with downloadable programs. Please visit his site. This is listed as his “Best Kettlebell Workouts” so I thought that would be fine for me but he has other ones including strength, beginner, etc. I have adjusted the number of reps and set to fit me but are using his exercises.
Warm Up:
Circuit with sets of 10

Notes / Results:

  • 50 minute workout.
  • Weight: 197 pounds
    • Previous high: 12kg
    • Sets: 8, 10, 12, 12.
  • Kettlebell Swings
    • Previous high: 24kg
    • Sets: 18, 24, 24, 24
  • Reverse Lunges
    • Previous high: 12 kg
    • Sets: 12, 12, 12, 12 (each hand)
  • High Pulls
    • Previous high: 18kg
    • Sets: 12, 16, 18, 18
  • Kettlebell Squats
    • Previous high: 18kg
    • Sets: 16, 15@24, 16@24, 20@24

No comments:

Post a Comment