Thursday, January 30, 2014

Loading the Guns - Arms & Shoulders

The end of the week workouts are always more challenging than the beginning of the week. Anything after leg day is not going to be as good as before. That said, got a good workout in with a better focus on form. This especially applies to to barbell front raise where I noticed that I was using my entire back and swinging momentum to lift the weight. I ended up taking the weight down considerably and standing against a pole to keep my back straight and get the focus on my shoulder muscles. Then, increased weight set by set with proper form. The end result was not a gain in weight but I probably gave my actual shoulders more of a workout.

In addition, I was proud to not use any momentum or body swings when I did the standing dumbbell curls. I can’t say that for another guy in my gym today who was doing the same exercise.

Warm Up:

Arms & Shoulders - DO 1 warm up set at half previous high weight for 10 reps. Then 5 sets of 5 reps each at max weight.

Core Tabata:
  • Sit ups with 10 pound plate behind head
  • Elevated Feet Mason Twists with 25 pound dumbbell
  • V-Ups with 12kg kettlebell
  • Crossover fingers to knees with 10 pound plate

Notes / Results:
  • Weight: 198
  • Time: 50 minutes. Only did 1 round of Tabata.

  • Barbell Front Raise
    • Previous high: 85 Goal: 115
    • Sets: 80, 75, 4@55, 10@20, 10@30, 10@40, 5@50, 4@60
  • Lying Dumbbell Triceps Extension
    • Previous high: 35 Goal: 50
    • Sets: 30, 35, 3@40, 3@40, 35, 3@40
  • Seated Barbell Shoulder Press
    • Previous high: 95 Goal: 120
    • Sets: 75, 85, 85, 3@95, 3@95
  • Standing Dumbbell Curl
    • Previous high: 50 Goal: 65
    • Sets: 3@50, 45, 50, 50, 55
  • 1 round of Core Tabata

No comments:

Post a Comment