Monday, August 11, 2014

Upper Body Monday

Went back to the upper body since I really need to prioritize this. Also, last week I bought a whey protein and creatine mix to add to my post workout smoothie to help with muscle gain. What I was afraid would happen, did. I gained weight (about four pounds) and although I did set a new best for the push press and am increasing my weights for the row, the strength gain was not enough to offset the weight gain as my pull ups, towel pull ups and monkey bar performance suffered. Those are all sport specific exercises and really where improvement has the most direct correlation to goals and performance.

2015 is going to be the year of relative strength. I need to focus in on improving the amount of weight I lift in relation to how much I weigh. A 20 pound gain in my bench press does not help me if I gain 20 pounds. Holding on to my bench press maximum weight while losing five pounds is a success. More to come on this in future posts.

Warm Up:

Chest/Back Routine - 5 sets increasing in weight and decreasing in reps 20/15/10/5/3.


Notes / Results:

  • Time: 60 minutes
  • Weight: 196
  • Barbell Row
    • Previous High: 4@170
    • Sets: 20@110, 15@120*, 10@140*, 4@160, 3@165*
  • Press
    • Previous High: 3@100 or 1@105
    • Sets: 20@65, 15@70, 10@75*, 5@85*, 2@100
  • Rope Pull Ups(R)/Monkey Bars(M)/Pull Ups(P)/Dips(D)
    • 3 rounds - AMAP all body weight
  • Finisher: 30 Burpees

No comments:

Post a Comment