Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Legs - Taking Foot Off Gas - Dangers of Cross Fit - 18 Days Until Tough Mudder

I guess that I am taking the foot off of the gas this week doing only three circuits instead of my usual five. With the Super Spartan behind me, I feel prepared to do the Tough Mudder in less than three hours and I know that last year I did not give myself enough recovery time post Super Spartan and was bed ridden sick the week before the Tough Mudder. I think that listening to my body is a good idea.

Also, want to share some articles that have been coming up on my Facebook feed over the past few days regarding the dangers of over exercising. Both point out that it is more common in Cross Fit than other routines. Not sure if what I do is exactly Cross Fit but it is along those lines.

Cross Fit’s Dirty Little Secret: https://medium.com/health-fitness-1/97bcce70356d

In both of the articles the people who injured themselves didn't say that they had specific goals They just wanted to do more and more with no end point. My thought is that I have goals and know what I need to do to achieve them. Super Spartan was my biggest goal this year and I did it. I will continue to work out and watch my weight but I am not going to kill myself after I cleared my highest hurdle. Therefore, I can take my foot off the gas with workouts and enjoy an occasional pizza, beer and football Sunday on the couch with no regrets. It does the body good.

Warm Up:

In between each set do 10 core reps (sit ups, elevated feet russian twists with weights, leg ups, decline cross over sit ups, v-ups) and 10 burpees at the end of each circuit.

Leg Routine - 10 reps each set. Do 10 reps in a set and move up in weight for next circuit. Do 5 circuits.

Notes / Results:
  • Time: 40 minutes. Only did three circuits.
  • Weight: 200. Holding.
  • Goblet Squat - max 10 reps @ 50 pounds on 3rd circuit. Last time maxed 10 reps @ 55 pounds on 5th circuit. Room for growth here.
  • Side Lunge - max 10 reps @ 30 on 3rd circuit. Last time maxed 3 reps @ 35 pounds on 5th circuit.
  • Forward & Reverse Lunge - max 10 reps @ 25 pounds on 3rd circuit. Last time max 5 reps @ 30 pounds on 5th circuit.
  • Step Ups - Max 5 reps @ 40 pounds on 3rd circuit. Same as last time although last time was on 5th circuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment