Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Arms & Shoulders / Discovering Proper Squat Form

I take what I said about Leg Day being the only one that leaves me hurting. My right shoulder and upper back are killing me for the second straight week. No pain, no gain. I must me doing something right. Now time to rest and rebuild - until next week.

On a side note, I saw pictures of other people doing squats and realized that I was doing mine wrong. I have been keeping my feet at a width shoulder wide and pointing my toes straight forward. I have been pushing off the balls of my feet with my quads. This leads me to not coming close to getting to a 90 degree angle with my knees. I always thought that not being able to do “ass to grass” on squats was due to my lack of flexibility. I now see that I am supposed to keep my heels at shoulder width and point my toes out at a 45 degree angle. Trying this allows me to get my ass to the grass and puts the weight on my glutes and hamstrings.

My poor form was part of my 40 body weight squats in my warm up every day in addition to the barbell squats on Leg Day. I wonder if people noticed and snickered behind my back. Then again, I don’t ever see gym goers using the squat rack so the fact that I was doing squats with improper form is a lot better than those who aren't doing anything.

Starting today and going forward I am using proper form on my body weight squats in my warm up and I can’t wait until Leg Day when I will start with the lightest weights for barbell squat and move up to find my max with proper form.

Warm Up:

Arms & Shoulders Routine - 1st set is ½ weight for 10 reps to warm up and focus on form then 5 sets of 5 reps each at max weight.


Notes / Results:

  • Time: 60 minutes with 60 Burpees as a finisher.
  • Weight: 197  
  • Dumbbell Overhead Triceps Extension
    • Previous high: 45 Goal: 50
    • Sets: 35, 40, 45, 45, 4@45
  • Bent Arm Lateral Raise & Extension
    • Previous high: 30 Goal: 40
    • Sets: 20, 22.5, 1@30/25, 2@30/4@25, 3@30/25
  • Standing EZ Bar Curl
    • Previous high: 85 Goal: 85 **assuming EZ Bar is 15 pounds and not 25
    • Sets: 65, 75, 4@80, 4@80, 80
  • Barbell Push Press
    • Previous high: 4@85 Goal: 110 **not sure about form on these numbers. New sets are with better form - back straight and not bent
    • Sets: 60, 65, 70, 70, 4@75
  • 60 Burpees

No comments:

Post a Comment