Thursday, February 6, 2014

Arms & Shoulders - More Exercises, Less Tabata

Hit the guns hard today just like all of my other workouts. I am proud to say that I really am giving it everything that I have every day. As much as I always know, or think, that I can do better, I feel confident that what I am doing is producing results and will help me reach  my goal.


Couple of notes up front:
  • Took a step back or did not advance with higher weights on some exercises since I am really paying more attention to form. I am not sure that perfect form is essential since form is not judged in Spartan races or Tough Mudders
  • When it was time for the EZ Bar Curl someone else was using it. I quickly improvised and did underhand chin ups with a weight belt and plates. I was then able to use the EZ Bar. End result is that when faced with an obstacle I added more exercises to the routine and continued to work out. That is what gym time is for.
  • I added wrist curls to the routine. Grip strength and forearm strength is a weakness of mine. As long as I am aware of this I will go about improving it. ONe of the ways is to just hold dumbbells in my hand in between sets. See the video below.
  • Due to the added exercises I did not do my Core Tabata. Since my 3 strength workout days in the gym are done for this week the plan is to do cardio/tabata for an hour tomorrow, rest Saturday (due to prior personal obligations), and hit the kettlebells on Sunday morning.


Warm Up:


Arms & Shoulders Routine - 1st set is half weight for 10 reps to focus on form and to warm up. Then do 5 sets of 5 reps each at max weight.




Notes / Results:

  • Weight: 198. Someone brought chips and dip into the office yesterday and I was unable to resist. Need to strengthen my willpower.
  • Time: 65 minutes. Not concerned since I added 2 exercieses to the routine. All things considered, good time..
  • Barbell Shoulder Press
    • Previous high: 2@95. Goal: 105
    • Sets: 65, 75,85, 4@85, 3@85
  • Underhand Chin Ups with weights
    • Sets: 5@5, 4@7.5, 3@7.5, 3@7.5, 3@7.5
  • Bar Curl
    • Previous high: 80. Goal: 100
    • Sets: 75, 3@80, 75, 2@80 / 3@75, 2@85 / 1@80 / 2@75
  • Dumbbell Front Raise
    • Previous high: 45. Goal: 55
    • Sets: 40, 35, 40, 3@45, 3@45 / 40
  • Lying Triceps Extension
    • Previous high: 4@95 Goal: 105
    • Sets: 85, 85,95,95, 95

No comments:

Post a Comment