Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Leg Day w/ 50 Burpee Finisher & Rookie Mistakes at the Gym

Great day at the gym as I was rested and exceeded previous highs on all of my exercises, then topped everything off with 50 Burpees as a finisher.

Funny story: There are 2 guys that I see regularly at the gym who are built from the waist up but have toothpick legs. I guarantee that these guys have never done a leg day. Today, I wanted to start with barbell squats and one of the guys beat me to the squat rack. I was surprised to see him near the squat rack but I adjusted my routine to do my calf raises first. This guy then proceeds to use the squat rack for curls and presses.

Gym Rule #1: DO NOT USE THE SQUAT RACK FOR UPPER BODY!

I was very upset on the inside. Then, when I finally did get to the squat rack, to do squats, the other toothpick leg guy walks up like he wants to work in. I looked straight at him, looked down at his legs, then looked back into his eyes again and turned around. He walked away.

I am not sure exactly where I developed this gym attitude but I have it now and these guys have to learn how to behave. If you are unsure, please reference this video and pay particular attention to Rule #3.


Warm Up:

Leg Routine - Do 10 reps at half weight for warm up & form, then 5 sets of 5 reps each building to max weight.

Notes / Results:

  • Weight: 198
  • Time: 60 minutes
  • Barbell Squats:
    • Previous high: 230. Goal: 250
    • Sets: 185, 205, 215, 225, 235, 245
  • Deadlift:
    • Previous high: 250 Goal: 280
    • Sets: 225, 3@235, 235, 240, 245
  • Machine Calf Extension:
    • Previous high: 250 Goal: 275
    • Sets: 210, 250, 270, 270, 290
  • Dumbbell Step Up:
    • Previous high: 45 pounds each hand Goal: 50
    • Sets: 40, 45, 50, 3@55, 3@55
  • 50 Burpees in 5 minutes as a finisher

No comments:

Post a Comment