Friday, February 21, 2014

Short VO2 Max Day - Core Tabata & Burpees - 30 minutes

Rested yesterday and am planning to get a long run in tomorrow as long as the weather holds up. Today was going to be my VO2 max day (of HIIT or tabata or whatever) but I really didn't have it in me. So, I did 30 minutes instead of the 60 I was planning on. 

I notice that the strength training, or anaerobic activity, is taking away from my aerobic abilities but I am going to accept that as it is part of the plan and starting in May that will flip and I will be ready for my races in September. 


On a side note, I was directed to a book called Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe that I am thoroughly enjoying. In this book he covers the science behind 5 exercises in depth. The chapter on squats is over 80 pages long. I just started on it but love it already and am incorporating the proper squat form into my body weight squats ahead of my leg day next week. More to come on this as I am very excited. 

Warm Up:


Core Tabata
  • Sit Ups with 5 pound plate (Rounds 1 & 3)
  • Elevated Feet Mason Twists with 20 pound dumbbell (Rounds 2 & 4)
  • V-Ups with 8kg kettlebell (Rounds 5 & 7)
  • Crossover fingers to knees with 10 pound plate (Rounds 6 & 8)

Results:
  • Time: 30 minutes
  • Weight: 197
  • Did Core Tabata twice. Once forward and then immediately backwards
  • 60 Burpees - 6 sets of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment