Sunday, February 23, 2014

Sunday Kettlebells

I woke up today with my legs aching and tight from yesterday’s run. I had all the excuses in place to skip today but got out to the gym on a Sunday morning since I knew that if I did not get my workout in today then I wouldn’t be doing kettlebells this week. Although it deviates from the strenght focus of this season in my training, I enjoy kettlebells and want/need to keep them in the mix.


Since I got out of the house late and was tired, I only got three circuits done when I am shooting for five. I kept a great pace and supplemented each circuit with 10 burpees.


Finally, of great importance, was that for the Swing Catch & Goblet Squat I really focused on form. First off I have always used momentum on the swings. This time I came to a complete stop on each rep. Swinging from a dead stop is more challenging that I thought. Add to that my focus on form for the squats. In particular, I have been looking straight forward when I do squatting exercises and that is bad form. I used proper form today looking down about four to five feet in front of me. This helps get my backside closer to the floor and keeps the weight balanced in a straight line above the middle of my feet. I also focused on driving my butt into the floor to get maximum range. Reading the Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe book, I learned that if you are not getting as low as possible then you are not doing the squat right. For my first couple of reps, when I was not getting low I realized that I was looking straight forward. I adjusted my form and was able to drive my butt closer to the floor.


Warm Up:




Notes & Results:
  • Time: 50 minutes
  • Weight: 199
**All weights in kg**

  • Swing & Catch Goblet Squat - Sets: 16, 16@18, 10@18
  • Clean & Press - Sets: 12, 16, 18
  • Windmill - 10, 12, 16
  • Turkish Get Up - Sets: 8, 10, 12
  • Deadlift & Row - Sets: 12, 16, 18
  • 10 Burpees at the end of each circuit. 30 total outside of warm up

No comments:

Post a Comment