Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Leg Day like no other. Starting over with complete emphasis on form

Today was all about proper Squat and Deadlift form. I have not been doing them correctly so the focus was on starting at the beginning and doing them correctly. I kept 5 reps per set but started with much lighter weight and did more sets while incrementally adding weight. Good progress. I am feeling it in new muscles.


This is my new weight lifting guide to live by: Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe**I am not compensated for any sales. I just pass along what I learn  to you. Take it for what it is worth.


On a side note, the two tools with the built upper bodies and toothpick legs  that I have mentioned in a previous post were doing curls in the squat rack. The last person that I need to be is a gym snob but these guys are really getting on my nerves.


Warm Up:


Leg Routine  - 1 set of 10 reps at half weight to focus on form and warm up, then 5 sets of 5 reps each at max weight.




Notes / Results:
  • Weight:198
  • Time: 65 minutes. No Tabata. Kept a good pace but did not worry about time since I was planning on doing more sets and the focus was on form.
  • Dumbbell Step Up
    • Previous high: 3@55 New Goal: 60
    • Sets: 45. 50, 3@55, 4@55, 1@55/2@50
  • Barbell Squats
    • Previous high: 205 Goal: 225 **Scrap off of this since what I used to do were not even squats**
    • Sets: 45, 55, 65, 75, 85 (bad form - leaning forward), 85, 3@95, 95, 4@105
    • When I had bad form at 85, I noticed that I was coming up off the balls of my feet and putting too much emphasis on my quads and I felt undue stress on my lower back. This was actually caused by poor hand position. By changing that, the bar laid lower on my back which properly aligned it with the center of my feet, thereby putting  less strain on my back. Fascinating.
  • Plate Loaded Calf Raise
    • Previous high: 250 Goal: 275**used to use a machine. Now found apparatus to load plates and started from beginning. Fascinating to see the difference in weigh tI am able to lift.
    • Sets: 10@70, 90, 115, 125, 130, 135
  • Deadlift
    • Previous high: 235 Goal: 275 **The guy that recommended the book to me said that the Squat chapter is much longer than others (like the Deadlift) since it covers many of the basics that are applied to the other exercises. So, I changed my form here and found that I could not come close to previous highs. Started at the beginning with improved form but will still need to start at the beginning once I read the chapter for the Deadlift.**
    • Sets: 135, 155, 165, 175, 185, 195, 205, 215

No comments:

Post a Comment