Monday, October 20, 2014

Tri-State Tough Mudder 2014

A week late but here we go. Had a great day to run with cool temps but not too cool. I am starting to get used to these events so no major workout commentary aside for two things:


  • Muscle Ups. I had the most problems with the Berlin Walls (although I need to make more of an effort to extend my arms and get my feet underneath me) and the Glory Blades. Both of these problems will be solved by learning to do muscle ups.
  • Be mindful at the obstacles. For the Funky Monkey I made an extra effort to get my hands as dry as possible. This included rubbing them in grass and trying to get dry dirt on them. Once ready to go I made sure that I focused on getting from rung to rung without any distractions. I was successful. On Hanging Tough + on the Legionnaires Loop, I started before the second ring had stopped swinging. This meant that when I reached for it, it wasn't where I needed it to be so I missed it and failed the obstacle. This could have been prevented by going in another lane or just waiting. If I want to complete courses without missing obstacles I need to take a minute and be mindful of how I am going to accomplish every one. 



Pumped up and ready to go!

Course map. A preview of what is to come.


First person video of all of the obstacles. This was from Saturday which was muddier and done in the rain.


Arctic Enema was cold. As expected.


Right after this was Balls to the Wall. A high wall with a rope to get you over it. Glad to see that obstacle. I made it over it with ease. I saw others struggling in addition to a woman just walking away and around it. I guess that my experience and hard work is paying off.

I nailed the Funky Monkey by concentrating on one rung at a time. Thinking back there were very few people who made it across. I am guessing this is due to lack of practice. There were some guys who looked like they should be able to make it across that didn't and some of them were grabbing the outside of the rungs. I didn't understand that.



Since I was separated from my group very early in the event and had to find someone to pair up with for the Warrior Carry. As much as he looks like he was in pain carrying me, let me say that I carried him just as far and did not have the problems that it looks like he is having. 





Next came the Pyramid Scheme. This obstacle is built for teamwork and there is no way you can get up it yourself since they have a mud ditch directly in front of it. The mud ditch eliminates any chance for a running start. 

I started by laying down at the bottom and letting people climb up me to people who were at the top pulling people up. Once I got up I spent about 10 - 15 minutes pulling people up. It was my payback for help on the Berlin Walls and, later, Everest where I needed a helping hand.

Everest was next. Much earlier in the course as opposed to earlier years. This was due to the fact that they basically reversed the course route from previous years. I had a good run, caught a hand and was able to quickly hook my leg on the top of the ramp and get myself up. There was no open areas to lay down and help others so I kept on moving.

Fire in Your Hole. Long wait for this "obstacle" that didn't last that long. I am not going to complain but I don't think that it really lived up to the hype. I would have liked to see something more challenging. What I did like was Hanging Tough + which was two rings to rope to two more rings cross over water. 





We had the option of skipping the Electro Shock Therapy and I almost did but then that would not be in true Mudder spirit. No need to wuss out. And I paid for it receiving a couple of zaps. Good times.



A well earned beer at the finish area. We have this group together plus one for the Poconos Tough Mudder in April of 2015. Can't wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment