Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Back in the Gym - Adjustments to the Routine - Chest/Back day

Super Spartan and Tough Mudder accomplished so this is my off season. I am pumped up about what I did recently so I couldn’t wait to get back into the gym. The goal beyond surviving the Spartan Beast is to improve my upper body strength so that the Tough Mudder Funky Monkey and Just the Tip are obstacles that I can accomplish. I also want to take this “off season” to work on overall strength.  

To do this I am making a first change to the workout routine. Instead of five circuits with ten reps each, I am scaling each circuit so that my last set has heavier weights. The new routine is as follows:

1st circuit - 15 reps
2nd circuit - 12 reps at heavier weight
3rd circuit - 10 reps at heavier weight
4th circuit - 8 reps at heavier weight
5th circuit - 6 reps at max weight

Whatever my heaviest weight that I can lift 6 times on the 5th circuit is, that weight becomes what I will do on the 4th circuit the next time I do the routine. Weights for the 3rd, 2nd and 1st circuit will be step downs from the 4th circuit. I hope that this all makes sense.    



Warm Up:

Chest/Back Routine - 15 reps 1st circuit, 12 reps for 2nd, 10 reps for 3rd, 8 reps for 4th, 6 reps for 5th moving up in weight on each circuit. Do 5 circuits.


Incorporate 10 core reps (sit ups, elevated feet russian twists with weights, leg lifts, decline cross-over sit ups, v-ups) in between each set and 10 burpees at the end of each circuit.

Notes / Results:

  • Weight: 200. Was dongling close to 199 but I will celebrate that milestone when I am a little more solid on that weight.
  • Time: 75 minutes. Not worried about time now since the focus is on strength.
  • Bench Press - max 10 reps @ 155 (55 each side + bar). Improvement.
  • Lateral Pull Downs - completed 4 reps on the 5th circuit @ 195. I am battling this weight and will push through.
  • Dumbbell Flys - I actually “spaced out” at the gym and did reverse dumbbell flys where I was bent over and lifted the dumbbells up using my back muscles. Anyway, maxed at 6 reps on the 5th circuit @ 35 pounds. Did not accomplish this with good form so best not to increase weight here.
  • Barbell Dumbbell Row - max 6 reps @ 115 (50 each side + 15 pound EZ Bar) on 5th circuit. This is an exercise where I have yet to find my maximum weight so I will move it up next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment