Thursday, October 31, 2013

Chest & Back - Variation on Pull Ups for Spartan rope climb

Found that today the earlier circuits with higher reps and lower weights were more difficult than the later circuits with higher weights and lower reps. Would have like to have accomplished this in 60 minutes but will take the 70 minutes and weight increases that I accomplished.

Also added a variation to the pull ups by putting a rope over the pull up bar and grabbing onto that to pull myself up. Good variation on the exercise and hopefully translates well to the Spartan rope climb.

Warm Up:

Chest/Back Routine - 15 reps 1st circuit, 12 reps for 2nd, 10 reps for 3rd, 8 reps for 4th, 6 reps for 5th moving up in weight on each circuit. Do 5 circuits.

Incorporate 10 core reps (sit ups, elevated feet russian twists with weights, leg ups, decline cross-over sit ups, v-ups) in between each set and 10 burpees at the end of each circuit.

Notes / Results:
  • Weight: 202. I am on my way back to 200 and less. Goal is 195 by Thanksgiving. No “cheat meals” until I crack the 200 plateau. This is gong to be tough since my wife has a tradition of ordering pizza for Thanksgiving and my new job has donuts on Fridays that I have had trouble resisting.
  • Time: 70 minutes. Need to get to 60.
  • Bench Press: 6 reps @ 165 on 5th circuit. This is an improvement and I can increase weight here. Earlier circuits with lower weight and higher reps were more difficult so I may try to stay at a low beginning weight and increase weights at higher intervals (10 pounds as opposed to 5) for each circuit.
  • Lat Pulls: 6 reps @ 160 on 5th circuit. Weight increase and I guess that I can go higher but this was a bear.
  • Dips: 6 reps @ 10 pounds on 5th circuit. Later circuits with less reps easier than earlier with more reps & less weight. As a variation on pull ups, I put a rope over the pull up bar and pulled myself up on that. Should help for the Spartan rope climb. I am still in the 4, 3, 2 reps per circuit range. I need to continue to work on this.
  • Lateral Pull Downs: 6 reps @ 180 on 5th circuit. I can do better on this one and may not increase weight here next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment