Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Step down in weight to increase range of motion - Leg day

Couple of notes from today’s session at the gym.

1 - Got into a conversation with one of the guys that I see there regularly and this stretched a workout that I aimed to complete in 60 minutes to a workout that took 75 minutes.

2 - He called me an athlete. Really? I always considered myself a weekend warrior. I guess if you train 5 days a week, watch your diet and have aggressive fitness goals maybe you are an athlete. Never considered myself that and I may not be an athlete but it felt good.

3 - Made an adjustment to the barbell squats since I felt that I was cheating on my range of motion and not getting down low enough. The adjustment is putting a bench behind me and making sure that my butt touch each time before going back up. I started with a lower weight than normal so I am way off my previous max. I will work up to it again with proper form and range of motion.

Warm Up:


Leg Routine - 15 reps 1st circuit, 12 reps for 2nd, 10 reps for 3rd, 8 reps for 4th, 6 reps for 5th moving up in weight on each circuit. Do 5 circuits.



Incorporate 10 core reps (sit ups, elevated feet russian twists with weights, leg-ups, decline cross-over sit ups, v-ups) in between each set and 10 burpees at the end of each circuit.


Notes / Results:


  • Weight: 200. Holding. Still working through junk food leftovers at home. The breakfast pastry was delicious this morning.

  • Time: 75 minutes. Wanted to get this done in 60 but I got into a conversation with a friend at the gym. Maybe next time.

  • Barbell Squats: Max 6 reps @ 105 (30 pounds each side + 45 pound bar) on 5th circuit with full range of motion. Previous (w/o full range of motion) was 10 reps @ 145 on 5th circuit. I can and will go higher here but I started the first circuit lower since I am concentrating on getting lower in my squats.

  • Barbell Deadlift: max 6 reps @ 225 (90 each side with 45 pound bar) on 5th circuit. Same max as before but this time I am ready to increase weight.

  • Standing Barbell Calf Raise: max 6 reps @ 170 on 5th circuit. I continue to increase weight on this exercise. I have moved from the standing bar to a seated “machine” since I am getting nervous about this amount of weight on a barbell on my shoulders and a crate underneath my feet.

  • Dumbbell Step Up: max 6 reps @ 40 (each hand) on 5th circuit. My goal was to get to 45 pounds here but I was only able to do 6 reps on the 4th circuit instead of 8 so I came back for 6 more on 5th. Room for improvement here since I have made it to 45 pounds but only able to get in 3 reps.

No comments:

Post a Comment