Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Monday 6 Mile Run + Tuesday Tabata Insanity

Traveling for Christmas forces me to improvise workouts. The good part is that I can find the time to do them and the better part is that I can get creative with what I do. 

Monday I knocked out a 6 mile run like it was nothing. Thursday I am shooting for 9 since the route is a 3 mile loop.

Tuesday my father in law got me into his local rec center so that I could work out while he walked on the treadmill. My father in law is a grandfather. So are 90% of everyone else at this rec center. I used their weight room. A weight room for grandparents.

Improvising and armed only with my phone and a list of exercise routines I copied onto paper from my blog, I dominated the dumbbell area and put my Tabata timer to good use. Check this out:

First I did a regular circuit of a Total Body routine:

  • Barbell High Pulls
  • Dumbbell Curl to Lunge to Press
  • Elevated Feet Press
  • Side Lunge & Press 
I then decided that circuits weren't going to work in this environment as people kept breaking in to use other weights. I was in a very tight area and did not need to dominate everything so I switched to Tabata for each exercise.

In the future I don't think that Tabata is built for 8 rounds of 1 exercise. I am learning from experience. 
  • Tabata Round 1- Barbell High Pulls
  • Tabata Round 2 - Dumbbell Curl to Lunge to Press
  • Tabata Round 3 - Elevated Feet Press
  • Tabata Round 4 - Side Lunge & Press

My father in law was still walking on the treadmill so I kept up with the Tabata.

Tabata Round 5, with dumbbells:
  • Rows
  • Lunges
  • T-Push Ups
  • Side Lunges

Tabata Round 6:
  • Jumping Lunges with dumbbells
  • Push Ups
  • Lunges with dumbbells
  • Reverse Triceps Push Ups (http://youtu.be/5oMnUzy_hQ8) 

Then my father in law was done and that was okay because I was gassed. Writing this blog 2 hours after finishing I feel the burn all over and a little less guilty about going off the diet reservation. 

Merry Christmas and we shall catch up again Thursday or Friday. Friday I will need to get creative again since I won't be going to the rec center anymore this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment