Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Chest & Back - Streamlining Strength Routines from 15 to Two

In learning more about gaining strength, I picked up on the notion that changing exercises around does not work. When we plateau, or the going gets tough, we just change exercises. The real gains come from doing the same thing until you break through the plateau.

I have also read that isolation exercises such as bicep curls, dumbbell flys, etc. are not as an effective use of gym time and energy as core power lifting exercises such as the military press, bench press, deadlift and squat.

With this new direction I have been replacing isolation exercises with core strength exercises and am streamlining from 15 different weight lifting routines to two.

In debating with myself if this is the correct approach to take, I decided that it doesn’t matter as long as I continue to put in the work. I can always change back and trying new things and adjusting my training is half the fun of this adventure.
Warm Up:

Chest/Back Routine - 1st set is ½ weight and 10 reps to warm up and focus on form. Then 5 sets with 5 reps each at max weight.




Notes / Results:

  • Time: 55 minutes.
  • Weight: 191
  • Lateral Pulls - Sets: 95, 105, 4@115, 115, 4@115
  • Bench Press - Sets: 135, 145, 145, 3@150, 3@150
  • EZ Bar Pullover - Sets: 60, 65, 65, 70, 65
  • Dips & Pull ups
    • Dips: 6, 5, 5, 4, 4 full range of motion here which is why my reps have gone down considerably
    • Pull Ups: 4, 3, 3, 3, 2 no kiping, chin above bar
  • Finisher
    • Monkey Bars x2
    • T Leg Up: no, yes, yes, yes, yes
    • Monkey Bars x2

No comments:

Post a Comment