Sunday, April 20, 2014

Run with Challenge Stops

Happy Easter!

Yesterday I woke up with a twinge/strain in my hamstring which concerned me since Saturday was run day. I decided to get outside and test it anyway just so I could get the fresh air and enjoy a run. 

Assuming I would not be able to complete my 10 mile course (I finally Googled my course to get an accurate distance), I made sure to stop and do Burpees where I could in order get the most out of the time that I was able to run.

The end result was a 4.5 mile run with three stops of 30 Burpees along the way. 4.5 miles and 90 Burpees in ~50 minutes. Not bad.

This got me thinking that there are several spots along the way to stop running and do other exercises. These include:
Green park areas (I run in an urban area) are great stops for Burpees
Park benches are great stops for box jumps, single leg lunges, and decline push ups
My local soccer field has pull up bars, dip bars, and rings
I have a hill for sprints
The staircase of death

My longer term goal should be to do the entire 10 mile course hitting all of these Challenge Stops. It won't happen since my Saturdays are about to switch to hill running. Anyway, it is something to think about since a run with Challenge Stops is a way to imitate an obstacle race. Doing it this way has to be better than running, doing a full circuit of different exercises and then running again to the end. The exercises should be split up along the way.

Just a thought. Enjoy your Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment