Sunday, May 18, 2014

Mountian Trail Run with Mud - Awesome!

This morning I made the drive out to the mountain with my weight vest and new trail shoes. I don't know the distance but I do know that I ran for 2 hours and twenty minutes. What I am most proud of is that there is a significant leg of my run that I did not do last time but did do this time and my overall time remained the same. My natural running pace was much better. All of this while wearing a weight vest which was at 4 pounds this week. 

I would like to improve more by running more consistently. Going up the hills was tough and there were many walking periods. I limited my walking periods to 10 seconds (counting one one thousand one, on on thousand two, etc.) and then got back to running. 

I feel the strength that I am developing through my squats and deadlifts. I strongly believe this contributed significantly to the further distance with the additional load of a weight vest I was able to run within the same amount of time with a weight vest. 

This was also the first time I have ever ran with trail running shoes. I have always run with inexpensive running shoes. The low level trail running shoes were well worth the $50 I paid for them. 

Really pumped for my training routine this week. Tweaking my upper body routine tomorrow to address a bench press plateau, conditioning on Tuesday with the type of workout dependent on weather, rest Wednesday, Leg Day Thursday, conditioning Friday (weather dependent), workout 2 of the 3 Memorial day weekend days.

Lost in my thoughts during the run I realized that as much as I try to complicate things I really have 3 simple workouts: 1) strength 2) conditioning (HIIT, fartlek, tabata, etc.) 3) endurance. This is not rocket science and I (and the countless number of fitness gurus out there) can try as much as we like to analyze things but it all comes down to putting in the work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment