Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Squats & Bench - 1st Day of 5/3/1

First off, Sunday I did my long run which came out to 8.3 miles in 1 & 1/2 hours. I wanted to go longer and farther but there was ice along the route and I just couldn't do it. I gave it all that I could. I did add in 2 stops at the park for dips, pull ups. push ups and rows. 

Monday was the first day of the 5/3/1 programming. Basically, it lowers reps and load on the 4 big exercises (squats, bench, deadlift, OH Press) and has you only doing them once a week but that is supposed to lead to being able to consistently add load week after week. It also comes with a built in deload week on every 4th week. Here are a couple of reasons that I am going to try it:

  • The program is for someone who lifts 4x per week. You can do it 3x per week but then you lengthen out each cycle. You can also do it 2x per week if you double up on the 4x per week schedule. My plan is to double up once a week so that I squeeze teh 4x per week into a 3x per week gym schedule. This will plan out perfectly for my race schedule.
  • By limiting the time that I spend on the big lifts, it encourages, and gives me more time to work on the assistance lifts. For me they include Rows, Dips and Pull Ups. This means that I will be training them every time I go to the gym which is what I need to do. Frequency.  
  • The program is also awesome since I found set/rep and load ranges for warm ups. Everything is detailed and I don't have to think. Just do.
Due to expected weather problems I doubled up and did squats and bench today (Monday). I will deadlift on Wednesday and OH Press on Friday.

  • Warm up: 5 minutes of rowing
  • Squats: 5@70, 5@85, 3@100, 5@115, 5@135, 6@155
  • Bench: 5@60, 5@70, 3@85, 5@100, 5@115, 10@130
  • Dumbbell ROws: 10@45, 10@50, 10@55, 10@60, 10@65
  • Super Set with Rope Pull Ups
  • Dips: 10, 6, 6, 7, 6
  • Time: 65 minutes
  • Weight: 205 

No comments:

Post a Comment