Sunday, November 3, 2013

Saturday Run & Burpee Ladder

Normally I like to have a long run until failure on Saturdays with a time goal of 3 hours on a course with hills and stairs. Haven't done that yet but still working on it. The last 2 Saturdays I have told myself that I was gong to stop for some body weight exercises mid run but then I chickened out. 

Today (Saturday) was different. I went on the short section of my run (without hills or stairs) and mid way (Hoboken "beach") stopped to do a burpee ladder with 100 burpees in total. Reps within sets go as follows:

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

Depending on the number of burpees I had to do in my next set was the time I counted in my head between sets. This meant shorter rests for shorter sets and longer rests for longer sets although I kept a good pace. 

End results are that I ran 4+ miles and did 100 burpees. 1 hour & 1/2 of exercise from leaving my door to return with about 5 minutes of walking to warm up and cool off. 

Next week I will do the burpee ladder within the longer portion of my run that includes the hills and staircase of death. Maybe twice with the burpees or stop for body weight exercises (pull ups, push ups, sit ups, etc.).

I easily could have run further and done more today but I settled for the incremental improvement and that was probably a good idea since I am writing this on Sunday and I was exhausted last night getting to bed an hour and a half early and taking full advantage of daylight savings time. 

Off to the gym today and will post again later.

No comments:

Post a Comment