Sunday, June 29, 2014

Bro Diet Revisions - Protein & Carbs

All in all I am on a good course but since I blogged about my eating plan I have been doing more thinking about it and got back to reading The All Pro Diet by Tony Gonzalez. Something that he got me thinking about more is my protein intake and, more specifically, measuring my intake on a daily basis. 

Upon analysis, I don't think that I am getting enough. According to some sources, with an active lifestyle with th goal of gaining muscle I should be eating 1 I eat 1 egg or 1 1/2first full sized meat every morning for breakfast (except on conditioning days when I eat oatmeal), I have a fist full size of meat for lunch, and I have salmon/mackerel/tuna in my salad for dinner complimented lately with Ramen with a serving of tofu.

First off I am not buying anymore tofu and putting the Ramen in storage. I thought that tofu was a good source of non fat protein but I can't find anyone who supports eating tofu. Gonzalez and his nutritionist recommend only eating one serving of tofu per month. My Ramen & tofu is one serving per night. This will end. Aside from the China Study, I see no nutritional guidelines that support it. 

Second, I was trying to cut back on carbs and substitute it with protein in order for the excess calories to be more lean muscle mass instead of fat. After reviewing my regular intake of protein sources, I think that I am shy of where and active person looking to add muscle needs to be. Here are some action items to address this:

1 - Cut out the oatmeal mornings. I get enough carbs during the day. 
2 - For an afternoon snack rotate between 1/2 tuna fish sandwich on whole grain bread and a hard boiled egg.
3 - For dinner, cut out the Ramen and substitute in a black bean soup (or other non meal recipe in The All Pro Diet), quinoa, egg noodle soup (with a protein added but don't know what yet) or 1/2 tuna fish sandwich. 

My thinking is that by adding some of the better carbs, they will burn for energy and that the protein that I do take in will go straight to building muscle. Carbs and glucose burn first. If I intelligently increase my carb intake, then the protein will not get burned for energy and be utilized to build muscle. Same for the nutrients in vegetables. If you eat all vegetables then the great nutrients within veggies will get burned as an energy source instead of absorbed by your body and pu to good use. Carbs have a purpose for energy so i need to utilize them properly.

More to come on this as I continue to think it out, but thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment