Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Football Field Conditioning

I added weight to my sprints & lunges while increasing reps on my sit ups, box jumps, & mason twists. Did it with an eight pound weight vest. Oh, and I did 30 burpee broad jumps with the eight pound vest as my finisher. #progressiveoverload

I thought that I was supposed to do three circuits when I really should have done five. I am not as impressed with my results anymore.

When doing the burpees as my finisher I was ready to take off the weight vest 15 burpees in and go to regular burpees. I could claim that I had made an improvement over last time. Instead I realized that I was up against a mental barrier and that I could push through to finish. I finished. Now I know what I can do next time and I don’t have my mind fighting against me.

I also know that some of you who read this do many more burpees on a regular basis than I do and that 30 is a drop in the bucket. I think that is great. I have a different philosophy and that is that in a race I only need to do 30 burpees. The challenge is that I will have to do these 30 burpees when I am spent physically from other obstacles. So I think that doing 30 burpees after a maximum effort workout efficiently prepares me for what I am training for.

I have also been thinking about my four friends who injured themselves during or shortly after their obstacle races. The common thread is that they got back into training shortly before the events. Their bodies could not handle the sharp increase in activity and eventually fought back. I am lucky that years ago I got into the habit of exercising. No matter what I have done I got used to doing something. This has enabled me to step up my game incrementally over time and (knock on wood) never get injured. Exercise and training is a lifestyle, not a program.

Nuff said. Thanks for reading. On to the workout.

Warm Up:

Workout Circuit all done while wearing 8 pound weight vest:
  • Run around the track to make sure legs are warmed up
  • 50 yard sprint with 40 pound speed sack
  • 12 Sit Ups with 20 pound rip:60
  • 12 Box jumps (onto bench on side of field)
  • 12 Russian Twists with 20 pound rip:60
  • Shuttle Runs: 10 yards & back, 20 yards & back, 10 yards & back
  • 20 Straight leg deadlift to push press with 20 pound rip:60
  • 50 yard lunges with 40 pound speed sack


Repeated Circuit 3 times

  • Finisher: 30 broad jump Burpees with weight vest

  • Time: 60 minutes & that included walk to and from car.

No comments:

Post a Comment