Monday, June 16, 2014

Upper Body Monday & the Next Challenge

Lately I have been daydreaming about what is next. I have a lot of confidence that I will achieve my 2014 goal of finishing the Spartan Beast in Vermont. I continue to put in the work and I will be okay.

What is next? Longer distance courses do not interest me. The Spartan Beast will take 5+ or 6+ hours to complete and I have no interest in doing something that would take longer.

I came across the BattleFrog challenge. It is a 15k race and not tremendously different than a lot of other obstacle races. It is a true obstacle race in that the obstacles look like they are challenging which makes this different than a fun run event. Then I learned that BattleFrog is a qualifying race for the Obstacle Course Racing World Championships in October in Cincinnati, OH. To participate in that race you need to qualify. Why don’t I try actually racing instead of completing? I am not ready for an elite level but maybe I need to find out how well I can do in the 40 - 44 age group.

All of these thoughts came to a crash as I was struggling through my 30 burpee finisher at the end of my workout today. Then I think about the weights I am lifting. There are certainly many people who can do more. Who am I kidding?

But then I consider that the friend who I did the Tough Mudder with two years ago had shoulder problems shortly thereafter and healed but has never mentioned doing another Tough Mudder even though he does Half Marathons. The friend who accompanied me on my recent Spartan Sprint just went kite surfing and is not “laid up” with a bad back. My cousin who is 10 years younger than me and an accomplished athlete “cramped up” during the Austin Super Spartan and did not finish. Another guy, at least 10 years younger than me, who I see at the gym with a solid physique who did the Tough Mudder last year now has knee problems and is doubtful for this year.  

Maybe what I/we are doing is impressive. Maybe I shouldn’t discount what I am able to do. Maybe I just need to go for it and find out what my results are. Just a thought. I still need to get through the Spartan Beast so I shouldn’t get too far ahead of myself. Thank you for reading.

Now, to the workout. I still can’t find my results index card from last Upper Body workout so I started over and did the best I could. I am happy with my progress. Again, still working the 20/15/10/5/3 rep range.

Warm Up:

Chest/Back Routine - 5 sets increasing in weight and decreasing in reps 20/15/10/5/3. To compensate for lighter weights keep a good pace.


Notes / Results:

  • Time: 70 minutes
  • Weight: 194
  • Bench Press
    • Previous high: 3@155
    • Sets: 20@95*, 15@105*, 10@115*, 5@125*, 3@135*
  • Barbell Row
    • Previous High: 4@170
    • Sets: 20@95*, 15@105*, 10@115*, 5@125*, 3@135*
  • Press
    • Previous High: 3@100 or 1@105
    • Sets: 20@55, 15@60, 10@70, 5@80, 3@85
  • Pull Ups/Dips/Chin Ups
    • Sets: 5 rope/5# dips/Monkey Bars, 3 pull ups/10# dips/4 chin ups, 3 rops/15# dips/5 toes to bar leg ups, 3 pull ups/4@20# dips/4 chin ups, 2 rope/20# dips/5 t2b leg ups/Monkey bars
    • # indicates use of weight belt so 5# means 5 reps done with 5 pound weight belt
  • Finisher - 30 Burpees

No comments:

Post a Comment