Monday, November 11, 2013

Incremental Improvements - Chest & Back Day

The plan was to do a Total Body routine on Sunday, rest Monday and then do Chest / Legs / Arms on Tuesday / Wednesday / Thursday. Plans changed when I woke up dead on Sunday and used it as a rest day. That means back to the gym on Monday.

An incremental change this week was going to be increasing burpees with dumbbells from 5 pounds to 8 pounds. Instead, I held at 5 pounds for the burpees and instead used a 2 & ½ pounds plate behind my head for sit ups and decline cross over sit ups. The purpose was less for adding the weight and more for keeping my hands behind my head to hold the plate. I was cheating before. This also sets the foundation to increase weights that I hold behind my head in the future.   

Warm Up:

Chest/Back Routine - 15 reps 1st circuit, 12 reps for 2nd, 10 reps for 3rd, 8 reps for 4th, 6 reps for 5th moving up in weight on each circuit. Do 5 circuits.


Incorporate 10 core reps in between each set and 10 burpees (w/ 5 pounds dumbbells in each hand) at the end of each circuit:

Notes / Results:
  • Weight: 200. Still teetering on 199 but not solidly there yet.
  • Time: 65 minutes. 10 minute improvement over the last time.
  • Bench Press - max 6 reps @ 165 (60 each side + bar). Improvement and can go higher next time.
  • Lateral Pull Downs - max 6 reps on the 5th circuit @ 195. Good accomplishment and can go higher next time.
  • Dumbbell Flys - max 6 reps @ 35 pounds on 5th circuit. Can go higher.
  • Barbell Dumbbell Row - max 6 reps @ 125 (55 each side + 15 pound EZ Bar) on 5th circuit. Still moving up to find my maximum.

No comments:

Post a Comment