Monday, December 8, 2014

"Excuse me. None of my business but you are going to kill yourself."

“Excuse me. None of my business but you are going to kill yourself. Your lower back. Do you want a belt?” Was what I heard from another guy in the gym this morning (Nordic accent) right before I was about to deadlift 3 plates. I told him that I was okay and then lifted it 3x. And then I added 5 pounds to each side and deadlifted 325 twice. I can do that and ignore his comment since I have worked up to this. Progressive overload.

As much as a comment like that fires me up to do a big lift, I have to make sure that I am maintaining proper form and doing my best to keep my back straight throughout the lift. I am. There may be a little bend but nothing significant. If one is going to push limits and grow by lifting heavier weights then sometimes you just gotta grip it and rip it. That said, please be conscious of form and remember that it is better to leave something on the table today in order to come back tomorrow.

I only did 4 sets of squats and didn’t come close to my previous max or my goal. Since I took a step back today with squats, what I really should have done was take off the load and do 2 sets with higher reps at a much lower weight. Good to keep that idea in the back of my head for the future

It looks like Thursday’s focus is going to be squats. For deadlifts I am going to work on my higher rep and lighter load ranges doing a pyramid of 245, 255, 275, 275, 255, & 245.  

Warm Up:

Strength Exercises

Notes / Results:
  • Time: 50 minutes
  • Weight: 203

  • Deadlift
    • Previous High: 3@315
    • Sets: 9@245, 8@255, 6@275, 3@315, 2@325
  • Squats
    • Previous High: 2@190
    • 12@145, 10@150, 6@165, 1@175

No comments:

Post a Comment