Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Week 1/8 - Leg Day with Sandbag

Today I actually felt like I had some POP in my legs and body for the first time in a long time. My burpees were less laborious and I really had some energy. I also had a lot of pop in my conditioning at the end. Good start and maybe I can extend the 7.5 minutes into 10 and then 15. Hopefully this is the turn around that I need.

I want to be careful and keep this energy so I am going to make sure that I take my rest and periodization so that I peak for Killington. 

Also, this is my first day with weight on a leg day. It is part of my Killington push. One part of the push is splitting leg day with upper body day. The other part is adding load to my workouts. I started with an 80 pound sandbag but cut it down to 60 half way through since I was not going to make it. 

Last note is that I ran into the guy that won the 2014 Spartan Super last year and got to talk with him. The key takeaway was that a lot of racing and training is mental. If I feel that I need to work out in a certain way to prepare myself for Killington then I need to listen to myself and do it. If I feel as if I do my best by running by myself, whether the person starting with me sticks with me or not, then I will do better by running by myself. 

Time: 7:50

Warm Up:

  • 50 Jumping Jacks
  • 40 Squats 
  • 30 Sit Ups
  • 20 Push Ups
  • 10 Burpees


Time: 7:57 

Pistol Squats 5x5 - Mix of Archer squats, 1 leg squat on bench, full ROM Pistol with assistance, Pistol Squats on ground. I think that my butt is at or below my knee on regular Pistol Squats. Time to focus solely on that.

Time: 8:12

Leg Circuit:

  • 10 Lunges each leg 80# sandbag
  • 10 Back Squats 80# sandbag
  • 10 Step Ups each leg 60# sandbag
  • 10 Front Squats 60# sandbag


Time: 8:28

Kung Fu Conditioning - 30/15, 2 rounds no rest:

  • Squats
  • Knees to Palms
  • Archer Squats
  • Push Ups
  • Leg Raises


Time: 8:37

I ended this early since I had a late start. Next time I will get to the park earlier and do 2 rounds of the Leg circuit as opposed to the conditioning since I feel I want to work on strength. I can also do this workout at Pizzuta Park if it is open.  

No comments:

Post a Comment