Monday, October 31, 2016

Saturday Glen Rose Beast Recap

I'm not going to go through the race obstacle by obstacle but just give an overall impression of me and my performance. 

Results:

  • Time: 5:39:30
  • Pace: 28:17
  • Overall: 2696/5100 - 53%
  • Male: 2063/3477 - 59%
  • M 40 - 44: 282/484 - 58%

Writing this last and putting it first and that is the main takeaway is that I have been doing these races for four years and training for them about five times per week and I am going backwards. I say this because my finish times as a percentage is falling. This is frustrating. I want to feel like I am dominating but I am far from it. 

Thinking more about this, I guess that I have to learn to focus on the things that I was or am able to do as opposed to my challenges. Being able to do these races is a lot better than not doing them and I am a healthier person because of it. I will continue to train for the races and work on my weak points. I am not a bad ass, I never will be and I have to accept it. 

Let me focus on the highlights:

  • Missed the spear throw three times but I was very close each time. I will get it one day.
  • Did the Z-Wall. Actually I slipped off the first time and the volunteer yelled at me and everyone else to get back on and do it again. Second time I nailed it. Success.
  • Sandbag and Bucket Brigade weren't difficult although I had to break them up into small chunks - especially the bucket brigade. 
  • Atlas Carry, Tire Flip, Spartan Sleds, Farmer's Carry were all a breeze. 
Frustrations:

  • I could not make it up the slip wall at the end since my shoes were not giving me any grip. Two failed attempts. 
  • I did all of my burpees except for the platinum rig where I did seven. Once I did a set of five I could only do two on the next set and my legs were dead. 
  • I wish that I could have run more but I felt like I had dead legs from the beginning and by mile 5/6 I was just walking briskly.
  • Missed the Monkey Bars which was disappointing.
  • Almost made it across the Travolean Traverse which was also disappointing
  • I've given up trying to get over walls without help

Goals for 2017:

  • Walls without help
  • Monkey Bars
  • Travolean Traverse
  • Run entire race


Training Going Forward and Path To Improvement:

  • Upper body strength - more focus on it and prioritize
  • Weight control through diet - gotta cut back on BBQ and carbs. More Tuna Fish Sandwiches for lunch and less eating a shitload of peanut butter at night
  • Better conditioning (although it was not all that bad) making sure that I am doing more HIIT and distance running


In hindsight, I think that I am not going to taper or deaload or anything for any upcoming races. Just keep a normal schedule with a rest day beforehand. That is when I think that I perform best. Also, eat light the morning of. Simple banana with cereal and milk is fine and then supplement during the race. This way I won't feel bloated or bogged down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment