Sunday, June 28, 2015

BattleFrog 8K - June 19

It was an obstacle race and not really challenging. At a distance of 5 miles and flat I wanted to run but didn't since I went with a friend. Looking at my schedule for next year, I am limiting myself to more challenging races that I will run by myself. I don't mind running a Tough Mudder with others.

I am glad to know that my sport specific training is working. I ran this race with a guy who has completed an Iron Man Triatholon, did a 4+ mile swim the previous week and has 2 marathons on his schedule. I can do none of this. But, at this race, he had a bit more trouble than I did. What it tells me is that you have to train for obstacle course races and just being in extremely good shape doesn't cut it if you want to do it well. I am glad that I do what I do.

I really have to work on my upper body and grip strength. I was worried about my overall strength since I haven't been using barbells and just doing body weight exercises. but I have been doing a ton of pull ups so I was hoping to see better results. Also, I may have stayed behind and worked on the rig that I missed but since I was with a friend I continued after 3 misses.




This course map isn't true but it provides a good overview.

So that I am not 100% negative, it was well put on. There were some good obstacles but just not enough and the distance was too short. I liked the Dirty Name (log jump stair thing) followed by the Platinum Rig. The 12 foot rope wall was good but there was only one compared to two last year. I wish that I had the grip on my feet to make it up this year. I did it twice last year with the two walls. Finally, the Rope Traverse across the water is the best in the business. I made it about 80% across that. Proud that I was able to do what I did there but I am not where I want to be just yet.  

Other obstacles were watered down and I was frustrated that I couldn't go all out since I was running with a friend. I don't plan to do this race again next year but I should not discourage the right people from doing it.

My shoes did me no help on this course. Reebok trail and obstacles shoes are great for mountains but terrible on flat courses. In a perfect world I will have trail shoes with less cleat and more surface area coverage for flat races and spikier shoes for mountains. Going forward I am going to stick with just running mountains.

Here is a write up on the event. I don't care much for his, or anyone's, opinion on the festival area or the MCs but I agree with his disappointment in the event, again obstacle based and I am not into lengthening out the course by running multiple laps.


This is not my best write up of an event but I think that demonstrates my disappointment.


Wreck Bag Carry over dry motorcycle hills. Last year was more challenging with Jerry Can carry over the same muddy hills. 



Dry crawl through the Normandy Jacks instead of a muddy crawl. The one thing that I think that they got right was to just use wire instead of barbed wire. I am not a fan of barbed wire. Also, they had this more toward the beginning of the course which is surprising. Usually it is at the end.



Jerry Can carry was through woods and mud. Not difficult. Walk in the park.


Rope Traverse over the river. Best obstacle on the course. I made it about 75% - 80% before I lost my grip. I did learn how to shimmy or walk my legs across the rope.




No comments:

Post a Comment