Thursday, June 4, 2015

Spartan Sprint at Tuxedo Ridge, May 30, 2015


Usually I do an obstacle by obstacle breakdown of an event but not this time. Nothing terribly new here so I will leave it to general comments. 

The biggest take away is that although I have done Beasts and Supers, Spartan does a good job creating a challenging course even for the Sprint. I am glad that I did it and as I write this the next morning I am aching. I failed 4 obstacles so I am frustrated with myself and have plenty to work on.

I ran with Scott and Chris which definitely took me out of my game and I will not say that this was my best race. There are no excuses but I never got into my zone like I would if I was running by myself. I never tapped into that "inner beast".

Total Time: 2 hours, 51 minutes
Overall: 2741/5729 48%
Men: 1952/?
40 - 44: 239/434 55%

We did it as a team.

Here is the list of obstacles with limited notes:

  • Over Walls
  • Hay Wall
  • A-Frame
  • Hurdles
  • Plate Drag
  • Rope Swing - Fun. Got my feet up and did it. Maybe the highlight of the day
  • Hercules Hoist - Did it standing up. No problem whatsoever.
  • Barb Wire Crawl 1
  • Spartan Rig - Sideways pole going up to ropes to sideways pole. I was very disappointed in myself that I didn't get up and past the first pole. I don't know where my upper body strength was **30 Burpees
  • 8 Foot Wall - almost, I mean almost made it up and over by myself. 2nd attempt I used the hook on the side. I truly believe that if you can make it over with a boost, then the side hooks are fair game.
  • Sandbag Carry - Short & easy. Much of the downhill I balanced it on my back and used my arms for balance down the trail.



  • Stairway To Sparta - I have only seen this at the Tuxedo Sprint last year and i'm glad that it is back. Fun.
  • Barb wire crawl 2
  • Z-Walls - I did the Traverse Wall in Vermont and was convinced that I had this conquered going forward. I barely got started before falling off. Same happened at NJ Beast. Don't know how I am going to solve this problem. **30 burpees
  • Inverted Wall
  • Spear Throw - Missed it. Wasn't a bad throw,  I just never practice. **30 burpees
  • Bucket Brigade - Short and not too difficult. I was worried about this since I have been doing all body weight exercises and I think that this would be the first thing impacted. I probably have to work with carrying heavy weights between now and VT.
  • Vertical Cargo
  • Rope Climb - Didn't really get started and can't get my feet positioning. Need to practice or learn technique or I will never complete this obstacle. **30 burpees.
  • Memory Test - Romeo 213-1089
  • Slip Wall
  • Fire Jump

So, there you have it. I missed the Spartan Rig (upper body), Spear Throw (technique), Z-Wall (??), and Rope Climb (upper/technique).  Nothing to brag about with new obstacles overcome but I had fun with friends and just may continue doing the Tuxedo Sprint instead of the Hurricane Heat gong forward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment