Sunday, June 28, 2015

Saturday Mountain Trail Run - BLACK BEAR!

Getting my head screwed on straight and remembering what I did to be successful last year. One of those things was getting in my endurance run once a week. High frequency, short duration runs will help me become a better runner, but can't substitute for a long trail run up and down hills. I need to do this more or at least go on a long run in Weehawken/Hoboken once a week.

Also, I need to start wearing my weight belt again. Not sure how much that helps but I didi it last year an dit worked so I will do it again. 

Extending the endurance run thinking into my overall training plan, in the winter my rucks have to be for time. 2 - 3 hours carrying heavy weight. Its the only way to do it. 

Okay, so when I was running and about 85% done, I encountered a black bear on the trails. I turned a corner and about 15 yards ahead of me there he was. I stopped and froze. He/she looked me up and down and after about 30 seconds continued on its way. I am sure that black bears in this area are used to people and are not actively hunting them down but it is still scary that I could have done the wrong thing, or the bear could have been in the wrong mood and that would have been the end of me. 


  • Run Distance: 10.63 miles / Total for Week: 13.7 miles / Goal for Week: 13 miles
  • Run Time: 2:16:56 - I went all out for a good amount of time - I don't need to get to 3 hours if I am pushing hard up and down mountains for 10+ miles
  • Pace: 12:53 - A good goal would be to break this pace to under 12

No comments:

Post a Comment